Q: P0328 code - 2008 Hyundai Accent

Considering purchasing this one owner used vehicle, had it checked at Goodyear. Mechanic says good car with plenty of life left only coffee was P0328, check engine light was not on. He says no big deal, don't worry about it. But as a non mechanical person reading about this knock sensor I am a little worried about dropping $4000 on a no warranty car. What do you think?

A: Hello. P0328 is the code for a knock sensor...

Hello. P0328 is the code for a knock sensor. If the knock sensor fails, or there is an issue with the wiring, the code may be set off. You also mention that the Check Engine Light was not on. If the Check Engine Light was not on, but a trouble code was still found, then either the code is pending, and not yet verified, or the computer may be defective. It is more likely that the knock sensor just needs to be replaced, however, only a thorough diagnosis and service will determine what is needed. A problem with the knock sensor could mean performance issues with the vehicle, such as loss of power or trouble accelerating. At the very least, I would test drive the vehicle or have another expert give the car a pre-purchase inspection for a second opinion.