Q: Over heated car brakes locking up

Car was making a squealing sound and had a smell I seen it was over heated pulled over white smoke coming from underneath and leaking underneath on passenger side. Let it cool down tried driving again got to 30mph and brakes locked up every light came on dash. Mechanic replaced bent valves water pump an fan or timing belt. I have car home now but need to understand why the brakes locked up like that?

Hi there. The overheating will cause the master cylinder to get too hot which can cause the brake fluid to boil or it can cause the master cylinder to expand from heat and bind. If it is acting fine now, I would flush out the brake fluid just to be sure it did not break down. If you need to have this checked in person, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your overheating issue to verify the culprit part(s) and make necessary repairs.

3. Over heated car brakes locking up