Q: Opinion about Cadillac Northstar motors

asked by on April 11, 2016

What are your thoughts on Cadillac Northstar motors?

The old Northstar motors were horrible. They blew head gaskets. Eventually, they made them better, but they are very complex V8 engines with all kinds of computer controls on them and they cost a fortune to fix. So if you want to buy one, buy a new one and you drive it for a certain amount of time, and then you get rid of it.

Do not buy a used one, because when they break, it costs more money to fix the engine than the car is worth. I had a lot of customers buy a used one that was cheap and then when the engine went, they lost all their money. They didn’t care if they bought the car for 1500 dollars and drive it for a year or two, but if they paid eight or ten thousand they were not happy campers.