Q: ok, so my Kwik Kar oil change place told me the oil pan needs to be replaced because the drain plug is stripped. So they put a la

So my oil change tech told me the oil pan plug was stripped and I need a new oil pan. They put in a bigger plug temporarily. Two Qs: 1. They want $600 for a new pan parts and labor. This seems excessive esp. given that they may have been the ones who stripped the plug! 2. I can get a new pan on line for $60 or so - they want $250 for it. Should I spring for the $75 steel one or is the $60 aluminum one good enough? Seems like aluminum would strip again easily... we live in Texas so no road salt or freezing really... Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric. Sorry to hear this happened to you. Oil pan’s bolts don’t typically "just strip". It’s typically always due to either over tightening, or cross threading. The problem is trying to prove whether it occurred with the previous oil change or this last one. Regardless, these companies wouldn’t typically cover this type of damage. As such, this is a perfect example of where having one of our professional mobile mechanics come to your location to complete a oil pan replacement will most likely be the most affordable and correct option. You can request an estimate by clicking this link to the service page. Once on that page, select the Get a Quote blue button and enter your vehicle information. Once we receive the data, we’ll email you a quote.

3. ok, so my Kwik Kar oil change place told me the oil pan needs to be replaced because the drain plug is stripped. So they put a la