Q: Q: Oil and coolant leak

A few months ago my car began to leak coolant. It wasn't bad at first,I would only have to fill it every few days. I took it to the shop to get another problem fixed and when i got my car back, it was leaking very bad not only coolant but engine oil as well. I had a neighbor take a look and told me it was the water filter or gasket im not sure which I took a picture of the part but i still have no idea what part to buy. Would you mind helping me find what part I need? I can send pics of it to you and maybe you can tell me what it is. Thank you

Hello...thank you for your question. Prior to buying and installing parts, a trained professional must diagnose the leak(s). Among the more common scenarios we see in this industry, and on this Q&A board, are ones where the consumer, or worse a "mechanic", buys a basket of parts thinking that that will resolve his or her mechanical issue. In the VAST majority of cases such a scattershot approach doesn’t work, and can’t possibly work, because no EXPERT diagnosis of the root cause was performed. It is premature to talk about any specific parts until it is understood, as well as possible of course (there are occasionally uncertainties), what is CAUSING the problem. Unless your neighbor is highly skilled in automotive diagnostics you need to get an informed diagnosis. YourMechanic specializes in just that, as well as expert, in the field repairs. Hope we can assist you with this and at the lowest possible cost for you, too.

3. Q: Oil and coolant leak