Q: Noisy and broken sounding suspension

The front suspension in my 2008 Jeep Patriot was just not well thought out. I have had legitimate issues with the ball joints and other bits up there, but now nothing is outright broken and the suspension is noisy when going over bumps. Creaks and clunks when going over bumps, groaning in turns. What is the issue here? 50,000 miles in, this Jeep has totally lost my interest. Too many dumb problems.

Noises in your suspension can only be caused by two reasons - loose components, and/or rubbing components. It is a matter of identifying the source(s). It is impossible to observe the suspension while driving. But still a test drive by an experienced an auto technician can determine which side the noise is coming from, and that would be a start. Then, a careful inspection would follow to isolate the source. You should also be aware that things like engine mounts, loose fender parts, and other components, can also be a source of noises which may appear to be coming from your suspension. If you have been taking it to a particular shop and they can’t find the problem, then you should have it looked at by an experienced professional at YourMechanic in order to locate the source of these noises.