Q: No gas getting to truck's engine

I went to start my truck and no gas seems to be getting to the engine. The engine coughed and I pumped the gas pedal with no results. Then the engine stopped. I tried three times to start the truck with no success. Once I got it home, I tried again, and while it turns over, it seems like the vehicle is still getting no gas.

Hello. You are right that most of the time this is caused by a bad fuel pump. The fuel pump will fail all of a sudden and this will occur. It happens even more often if the fuel level was low as the fuel pump will overheat and fail. I diagnose this by testing the fuel pressure. If there is no pressure then the voltage at the pump needs to be checked. If there is voltage and the pump is not coming on then the pump needs to be replaced. If there is fuel then it may have a problem with the ignition or a security system issue. If you need to have someone fix this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose why you are experiencing this gas issue.