Q: New alternator is loose

I am working on my 2000 ford focus se 16v ztech engine. I am replacing the alternator. I have the new alternator and it is exactly the same as the old one. When I put the new alternator in place and run the bolts in all the way the alternator is still loose and moves easily. I am very frustrated. I have taken the new one out 3 times just to make sure it's the same. What am I doing wrong?

The alternator locking sleeves should be moved all the way away from pulley side before installation. Also, check the mounting bosses and make sure they are the same thickness.

If you’d like some assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to the vehicles location and assist you with the installation of your new alternator. Best of luck.