Q: Transmission not shifting

My truck wont go to 3rd gear right or at all when over drive is on over half the time my motor will just rev then kind of click into place then slip back out then I'm back to the revving process again. but when over drive is off it still wont click into 3rd gear but there is no revving (and it wont click into any other gears besides reverse 1st and 2nd)

Hello, There are a few things that may cause this to happen. A faulty transmission temperature sensor can cause the transmission to inadvertently go into a "safe mode" that may prevent this from happening. Low transmission fluid levels can cause the transmission to lack the proper amount of fluid to build the necessary hydraulic pressure any automatic transmission needs to be able to shift properly. A faulty connection at any of the sensors may also cause the transmission to not shift properly due to the lack of sufficient data to be logged in the transmission control module. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your truck to properly diagnose your transmission problem.