Q: My new turbo leaking from the bottom exhaust side.

I have replaced my faulty turbo with a new genuine one. It leaks now on the outside underneath on the exhuast side. Only a little. I took the oil return hose from the turbo off at the sump. When I start the car oil comes out of the sump and stops when I turn the car off. Why would oil come out the sump where the turbo return hose goes. Oil is not over full. 1999 nissan patrol 2.8 turbo diesel

Hi - there are several possibilities for oil coming out of the sump. While the engine is operating, there is considerable pressure inside the crankcase from all the rotating parts thrashing oil around. Worn piston rings, especially on a turbo diesel engine with higher compression than a gas engine will create higher crankcase pressures. Even though the return line has some pressure, the crankcase pressure offers enough resistance or pressure of its own to overcome the leaky fitting, forcing oil out. Best to get the leaky fitting issue resolved, and the problem should disappear. Make sure crankcase breather valves (PCV) and hoses are clear and venting properly. I would recommend having a oil/fluid leak inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost for repairs.

3. My new turbo leaking from the bottom exhaust side.