Q: Key won't turn in the ignition 1978 Ford Mustang II

Steering is fine, must Hotwire to start, getting new solenoid but can't figure out why the key port won't turn

My car has 250000 kilometres. My car has an automatic transmission.

Hi there - there a couple of possible faults preventing your ignition key from turning in the ignition lock cylinder. First is that the key is sufficient worn, or the lock tumblers themselves, that they are simply not moving the tumblers enough to release the cylinder. Replacing the keys and tumbler will correct this. It is also possible on your model that there is an interlock mechanism that is not releasing - due to your "hot-wiring" - and there is a mechanical block on the lock cylinder. Restoring the wiring to include a working interlock will correct this possible problem. I would recommend an inspection of the ignition switch and interlock mechanism to determine the actual cause, by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Key won't turn in the ignition 1978 Ford Mustang II