Q: My car won't start and battery and alternator is good I'm afraid that my engine motor is locked.

My car was working and than my car started to make like a rattling noise when I would go faster it will stop. It turn stopped on the freeway and was able to start up again for a little but turned off again. Now the battery and alternator is fine but I also found a piece of metal that is broken off my car I don't know where it came from. When I would put the key in the ignition it would turn all the lights on but will not turn over the engine at all. Some one had told me that the it might be stuck.

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

A rattling or pinging sound may be caused by an ignition problem. An engine can ping (or knock) due to an improper combustion process. A "spark knock" is the result of combustion occurring too early. Early combustion can occur from carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber, a lean air/fuel mixture, and advanced ignition timing (spark plug firing too soon). A clattering type sound may be a result of improper lubrication in the valve train which could be a more serious problem and should be addressed as soon as possible. Other things may also cause a rattling sound such as a stretched belt or potentially fan pulley bearings. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle to ensure everything is in proper working order.

3. My car won't start and battery and alternator is good I'm afraid that my engine motor is locked.