Q: My car will shake/vibrate violently when trying to start or turn off the engine after filling up the gas tank

After filling the tank with gas, my car will shake violently whenever I try to start it or turn it off. It eventually will turn on (or off) but the shaking/sputtering/etc. happens every time after I fuel up, until there is less gas in the tank.

A: Hello. This occurs from the purge valve not...

Hello. This occurs from the purge valve not working properly. It can also be a vent valve issue, but that is not as common. These are part of the EVAP emissions system. If the purge valve is not closed when fueling, it can allow too much fuel vapor to enter the engine which will cause this to occur. I usually smoke test this to see if that is what is faulty. If you want to have this rough idle after fueling problem fixed, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the rough idle and make the necessary repairs.