Q: Q: Overheating

My car was overheating and I change my thermostat, but now my car is over heating and it's blowing hot air on driver side and medium in the middle and cold air in the passenger side. So I really don't know what is causing that is it a actuator?

Hello, There are a number of other reasons aside form the thermostat that may be causing the motor to overheat. The heat coming out in various temperatures may suggest a faulty vent door actuator which controls the opening and closing of the vents as you may know. The overheating can be caused by other things such as the coolant fan switch, which helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. You may also have a water pump that is beginning to fail. Water pumps often times will begin to produce a bit of a whining sound when they are starting to fail. A common problem also associated with this is the water pump may begin to leak around the water pump shaft due to the seal being damaged. In addition to leaking around the pump, you may have a leak elsewhere in the cooling system coming from one of the hoses going to or from the radiator. Lastly, you may have a failing cylinder head gasket allowing coolant to leak from the water passages into the cylinders resulting in the coolant being burnt in the combustion chamber with the fuel. If this is the case, you may also notice a bit of white smoke coming from your exhaust which is a product of the coolant being turned into a steam like vapor. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your cooling system.

3. Q: Overheating