Q: My car trembles or idles hard when I'm at a temporary stop. It feels like the car wants to move before I'm ready.

asked by on November 03, 2016

My car trembles or idles hard when I'm at a temporary stop. It feels like the car wants to move before I'm ready. The trembling feels like I'm in boiling water, being pushed to step on gas before I'm ready or the stop light changes to green.

This problem may be related to a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. This valve is a unit that reads the air intake as it is mixed with fuel, prior to being injected into the motor. The computer then uses this information to make fueling adjustments.

When the idle air control valve is not working properly, this may cause the motor to be over-fueled or under-fueled, depending on the conditions. This will cause a rough idle as you have described.

It is recommended that you get a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to come to your location and replace the idle air control valve for you.