Q: My car started to make a howling noise. A service center said it needs a new driveshaft i.e. Propeller shaft. There is no vibration.

Can this be the problem when there is no vibration? And why would the driveshaft go bad on a newer car? Can I expect more problems stemming from a bad driveshaft? Thanks!

Hi there. Your vehicle has CV shafts that drive the wheels. A howling noise is more of a wheel bearing grinding sound. Raise up the vehicle and rotate all 4 wheels and listen to there sounds. If a wheel is making a little grinding or a binding noise, then the wheel bearing is dried up and needs replaced. If you need further assistance with a howling noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• My car started to make a howling noise. A service center said it needs a new driveshaft i.e. Propeller shaft. There is no vibration.