Q: My car shut down while driving and won't start

asked by on November 14, 2016

Hi, my car shut off on me while driving, steering wheel completely locked, but I was able to pull over. Once I put in park, tried to turn the key, im getting a CLUNK noise from top right engine. I got my car towed home and later in the evening, I tried to restart it, and now it's just a rapid clicking and engine not turing. it is an oldie, but prior to this is drove fine

If you lost power steering and then lost power to the engine you may have broken the alternator and power steering belt. Your charging system light should of come on before the battery went dead. You should first open the hood and look at the belts on the engine to see if you notice any broken or missing accessory belts. Have the battery charged and tested and see if the vehicle no cranks over and starts. If it does start then you will need to have the charging system checked if there is no broken belts. There has been times where the crankshaft damper broke and will not turn any of the accessories when the engine is running. This will cause the battery to go dead and the alternator to stop charging. The engine may also overheat. I would recommend having the starter, charging system tested.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr