Q: Coolant low, check engine on, rough startup/idle, no heat.

Low coolant light came on. Stopped and added 50/50 mix to max line. Light went off but car ran louder and no heat came through the vents. Stopped and restarted and startup/idle was rougher and check engine light came on. Got home and restarted again, same problem, with oil light briefly illuminating before shutting off. Checked dipstick and oil looked fine. After 30 min started again with same problem, and coolant looks nearly gone again.

Hi there. Thanks for contacting us today. In most cases, what you are describing is an indication of either an obstruction in the heater core or a coolant leak near the heater core. You should see some coolant leaking near the back of the motor if this is the case. However, a heater core obstruction or leak would not explain the rough idle or some of the warning lights. Since there could be other issues causing these lights to illuminate as well, you might want to have a professional mechanic complete a on-site inspection so they can get a big picture perspective about what’s causing your issues.

3. Coolant low, check engine on, rough startup/idle, no heat.