Q: My car runs for about 30 minutes then when I come to a stop the oil and battery light turned on and car shuts off what could it be

Yesterday I was driving the car and when I came to a stop light the car shut off and the oil light and the battery light came on at the same time when the car cool down it was able to start again got me all the way home what could it be?

Hi There, It is normal for the oil and battery lights to come on when the car stalls. When the engine is not running and the key is in the ON position, you will see these lights light up as the car’s computer prepares itself to operate by running through a series of checks. The stalling and then re-starting after the vehicle has a chance to cool is likely related to a faulty ignition coil. Ignition coils are coated with a varnish-like insulation that becomes brittle over time after being stretched then contracted repeatedly. The insulation develops small fractures that open when heated and close when cooled. When open, they allow shorting of coil windings and decrease or eliminate the coil’s ability to function. This type of temperature cycling happens because every time you shut the engine off, the fan stops running, the coolant stops flowing and the temperature under the hood rises. Every time you start the engine again the coolant flows, the fans turn on, and the temperature drops. When this heat dissipates and is absorbed under the hood, it is trapped causing this cycling effect. Other components that contain heat sensitive materials include parts like fuel injectors, igniters, and some sensors. Any of these may be potentially subject to this same kind of heat cycling problem which can be very difficult to trace. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.

3. My car runs for about 30 minutes then when I come to a stop the oil and battery light turned on and car shuts off what could it be