Q: My car is using much more oil than normal - 2004 Nissan Altima

My nissan altima is burning massive amounts of oil. The car devours the oil, seeing as I have needed to put 15 quarts of oil in the car within a time frame of about 2 months. Upon startup a cloud of white smoke comes from the exhaust. I have already changed the pvc valve as it did show signs of wear and it was wet with oil (It didn't help). Also, about 2 months prior to when the smoking/burning began, I had changed the head gasket and cover since they were allowing oil into the spark plug cylinders. The sparkplugs are new as well. I'm questioning wether or not i should change the valve seals, or perhaps the head cover and gasket(again) since they were aftermarket parts and may have been defective. Advice?

Hello. The head cover gasket will not cause this. If it is giving a cloud of smoke when the vehicle is started, then it does have a valve stem seal issue. When the vehicle sits, the oil will enter the cylinder and burn off. As long as it is not smoking when the engine is running, then the piston rings may be fine. The cylinder head will need to be removed and rebuilt to fix this.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is using so much oil and suggest any repairs needed to get your car back into proper working order.

3. My car is using much more oil than normal - 2004 Nissan Altima