Q: My car is idling at 500 rpms is that normal? It's sounds like it's about to shut off but it doesn't

When my car is idling it is at 600 RPMs but it drops to 500 and starts shaking like its going to shut off. What is my problem ?

A: Hello. A low idle can be caused by a few di...

Hello. A low idle can be caused by a few different things. Before doing anything, I'd start by checking the computer for codes. This would tell me if the computer is seeing anything that is not correct. If there are no codes, then I check the sensors readings as a bad throttle position sensor or air flow meter can cause this. Most of the time this is caused by either a vacuum leak or a dirty throttle body. I would then check the throttle body and clean it if needed. This is probably the most common problem. If you are planning on having this low idle condition inspected, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.