Q: My car is hesitant to shift

Even when I press on the gas all the way in, the car does not always shift

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Check your trans...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Check your transmission fluid level to be sure the fluid level on the dipstick is exactly where it is supposed to be. Both too high and too low levels can cause problems. Shifting problems with an automatic transmission can often appear with age. If your car has a lot of miles, the chances increase that the valve body in the transmission that controls shifting can develop faults such as sticky and worn valves and malfunctioning shift solenoids. Those parts are often accessible and can be diagnosed but if you have a lot of miles on the car, say over 175,000 miles, sometimes it is more cost effective to either rebuild the transmission or put in a rebuilt one because the valve body is not the only component that wears out. Delayed shifts can also be caused by faulty sensors, such as speed sensors. If you would like a diagnosis of the delayed shifting problem you are experiencing, by all means contact YourMechanic and a professional will come out and diagnose the issue for you and give you an explanation of your repair options.