Q: My car ignition won't turn when the key is in the ignition

How do i get my ignition to turn so i can turn my car on ?

A: There are several factors that can be stopp...

There are several factors that can be stopping the ignition cylinder from turning. The first place to start is checking if the steering wheel is locked. If this is the situation, you will feel the wheel will not turn in one direction, and will feel "springy" in the other direction. Turn the wheel in the direction that feels "springy" and hold it there while you attempt to turn the key and start the vehicle. If a locked steering wheel is not the issue, the cylinder may have dirt and debris inside of it that is stopping the key from turning.

There is also a neutral safety switch that will stop the vehicle from being started unless the shifter registers as being in neutral or park. These sensors can also fail, and one of the best ways to test if it is an electrical issue, is to disconnect the battery and attempt to turn the key without power to the vehicle. If the key turns, you know a sensor is failing.

If you’re unable to pinpoint the issue yourself, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the issue with your ignition key and help you fix it accordingly.