Q: My car cranked and ran for about 10 minutes. When I started to drive it shut off. Then it would not crank again.

asked by on February 08, 2018

It started slowly to take longer for it to turn over. The last day it ran i cranked and let it warm up for about 10 minutes. Then i put it in drive and it shut off. I tried to recrank it but it would not turn over. There was power it just would not turn over. I even pushed the gas a little but it did not help. I didn't smell gas either. The next day after it had sat for about 24-30 hours i went out to try it. It cranked but immediately shut off. I've been told by people who "tinker" with cars that it sounds like the intake manifold gasket, the fuel pump, the battery, and eventhe spark plugs. Can you tell me something a little more concrete? Since you're an actual mechanic.

The first thing to look for is air leaks. any air that gets into the engine without going through proper channels will lean out the system and cause problems. Look under the hood for any rubber hoses or boots that have deteriorated or become disconnected. Sometimes an engine will backfire and blow off the air intake boot then things will not work until it is reconnected. If you don’t find anything like that, it’s time to start proper diagnostics including reading any stored codes and testing the fuel pressure. Don’t let your friends talk you into buying parts until the car has been properly diagnosed. Trying to fix a car by just replacing parts until it works again can get very expensive. You can have the car conveniently diagnosed by contacting YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Buick and let you know what it will take to solve your problem.