Q: My car accelarates after a small drive around

I turn on my car. It starts nice and everything. After I take it for a drive. When I am driving I press the brake. It feels like it if I am pressing on the gas which I am not. When I let go of the brake it accelerates by itself. I shift to park and my rpm instead of being in normal it goes to 2 like if I'm pressing the gas.

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. This can be c...

Hello, thanks for writing in. This can be caused by a few things. Most of the time this is caused by a vacuum leak. If it is intermittent then most of the time it is caused by a sticking EGR valve. The valve is made to open under certain rpm’s and then close especially at idle. If it does not close then it creates a vacuum leak. It can also be caused by the throttle plate sticking open. Most of the time when this occurs it is because it is simply dirty. I check this first and clean it if needed. If it is clean and is moving freely then I check the EGR valve to see if it is sticking. If you want to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.