Q: My brake suddenly went out, I just got new brakes.

I got my brakes fixed a few months ago. Yesterday my brakes went out when I was on a major highway.

With limited information about the vehicle and its recent repairs, diagnosing the problems is hard. In a situation like this when you have recently had repairs done, always verify that repair is holding. If you only had the pad and rotors (or shoes and drums) replaced and they are working fine, then your next go to will be the master cylinder. Inspect it and the brake booster. Both of these are critical for brake function. Now when you say the brakes "went out", do you mean they went to the floor and nothing happened? Did they lock up? A leak and air in the system will cause the brakes to feel softer, and the pedal will travel further towards the floorboard with a slower response from the brakes. The opposite is a hard pedal, which can be a sign of other components failing, or something is stuck in the brakes.