Q: My 2009 Toyota avanza A/T hits strongly when I kickdown the accelerator at 50km/h and the engine light comes on with a code p1706 for engine torque malfunction.

I made an engine overhaul last month. After the overhaul my car is fine but when I kickdown the accelerator, and the reach 50 or 60 km/h the automatic transmission hits strongly and the check engine light came on and the accelerator died when I kickdown again .... When I read the transmission DTC by my launch tool , it read p1706 engine torque malfunction ... When I turn the key off and then turn the engine on again the DTC cleared itself

Hi there. This code is coming up for the transmission having an issue with the kickdown. There could be two things that would be wrong. Either the kickdown solenoid has failed in the transmission or the torque converter clutch solenoid is sticking. Check the transmission for fluid level and make sure that it is full. Check the harness to the transmission and make sure that it is tight and secured. If you had the engine off the transmission, it is quite possible that the seals on the input shaft to the transmission has split. The first seal on the input shaft is to seal the torque converter clutch. I recommend back tracking what was performed on the vehicle and then go from there. If you need further assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with the harsh kickdown during heavy acceleration.

• My 2009 Toyota avanza A/T hits strongly when I kickdown the accelerator at 50km/h and the engine light comes on with a code p1706 for engine torque malfunction.