Q: Mass airflow sensor

If check engine light just came on from bad mass airflow sensor can u still drive the car until u can get it fixed?

The mass air sensor is used by the engine computer to measure the barometric pressure, air flow and temperature of the air going into the engine. If the computer is not getting any of these signals, you may still be able to drive the vehicle but will have various problems like hard or no starts. Other possible problems with the driveability of the engine may include running rich, stalling, hesitations, surging, or loss of power.

You can drive the vehicle if it can be driven safely. A check engine light and the code for a mass air flow sensor does not mean that the sensor needs to be replaced. A thorough code pinpoint test should be done to see if the sensor connector is making good contact with the sensor, or if the inlet tubing is cracked, causing the code. It is recommended that you get a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to do a thorough pinpoint test before replacing the mass air sensor.

3. Mass airflow sensor