Q: Maintainence

I have a vauxhall astra 2005 model and it has 129500 miles on the odometer it has as far as i am aware been maintained well been serviced very good and has a good strong engine and has had no expense spared on the car by myself and previous owner. What sort of things should i be looking out for and what should i be doing to the engine to keep it running smooth as it is? Could i ask if you could give me a lot of information and things as it is my favourite car

Hello, thank you for writing in. Maintenance on your Vauxhall will depend on the most recent maintenance history. Obviously anything stock on the vehicle is what you should be most concerned with. There are a couple of things you can do everyday so to speak, and it would only benefit the vehicle. These include oil changes, and fresh spark plugs. Make sure you are using quality oil. This means a lot to the life of your engine. When thinking about spark, think about the conditions of your spark plug wires. Do they look perfect? You can always replace them or upgrade them to better wires as well. This can add power to the engine if they have excess resistance. Keep in mind you want to repalce all wires and plugs at the same time to keep wear on the engine even. Have you ever replaced the fuel filter? This is a good step to take when considering the amount of miles on the vehicle. Look into your tires and the tread. Is the tread wear even? If not there may be an alignment or suspension issue that is not apparent at the time. At this point in the vehicle’s life the steering and suspension components have worked pretty hard. Some of the bushings and joints may be weak or blown out, and only a visual inspection would tell you. Replace the drive belts if they haven’t been recently, as the older they get they are more prone to breaking. Inspect the brakes and make sure the pads and rotors are within specification. This will mean removal of the rotors for measuring. The last thing you may want to look into is a fuel and oil additive. These are though to clean the parts of the engine that we are not able to access. There is the saying, "if its not broken don’t fix it". And this is true. Do not create problems trying to prevent them. For a 75-point safety inspection, contact our service department.

3. Maintainence