Q: Left cap off-check engine light won't go off

I have a 2008 Hyuandai Elantra. My niece drove my car. She filled it up with gas. I was driving the car and the check engine light came on. I checked the gas cap first thing, and she had forgot to screw it back on. It's been 24 hours since I screwed it on and I have driven it forty miles and it still has not went off. I took the car to the local auto zone and the code they gave me indicated the same issue. Will it go off automatically, or will I have to take it to the dealership? Thanks in advance!!

Hey there. After a few ignition cycles - started, driven, and shut down - the code should erase itself if the ECU no longer sees the loose gas cap as a continuing fault. There shouldn’t be any drivability problems if this was the only code. If the light still persists after a few drives, I would have the codes diagnosed more thoroughly and the data read with a scanner to see what needs to be done to clear the code.