Q: Leak caused by corrosion on throttle body terminal

The check engine light came on and it reads “reduced engine power.” I went to the local auto shop and it was reported to me that the throttle position sensor was the problem and I would have to take it to a mechanic. When I went to the mechanic, he said that it was not the throttle position sensor, but that it was a leak caused by corrosion on a terminal within the body of the throttle which connects the TPS. They explained it might take two days to work on it. Since I can’t take off from work right now, can you tell me where to find the connector on the throttle body and I will clean off the corrosion myself. Then later when I can get off from work, I’ll take it in for the leak repair. Thank you.

Hello. There are some fairly sensitive electronics inside the throttle position sensor (TPS) housing. They are also not engineered to be easily disassembled for repair either. Unless you are quite experienced at unsoldering and soldering printed circuit board connections, I would not recommend trying to repair this yourself. In addition to considering a new TPS, there are a number of national auto electronic rebuilders who can provide a rebuilt unit (w/warranty) on an exchange basis. They send you a rebuilt unit, which has also been re-sealed, and you send them your old one.

3. Leak caused by corrosion on throttle body terminal