Q: Lack of power 1991 Nissan 300ZX

I replaced my engine bc my car was losing power with the last engine I pulled out and when I put in the new engine there was a mis fire but that cylinder that's misfireing has spark and fuel but I think too much fuel bc I took out all the spark plugs and they were all black so I cleaned them and put them back in but the car kept misfireing and losing power with the new engine I don't understand why it keeps losing power after swapping the engine please help!

Hello and thanks for writing in. There are a number of things that can cause the motor to over fuel or run rich. When this happens, it is usually related to things like faulty fuel injectors, a failing mass air flow sensor or a faulty fuel pressure regulator allowing too much fuel to be supplied to the combustion chamber to be burnt. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your fuel system.

Hi there - first task is to check for problem codes, even though this is an OBD I vehicle. Assuming your engine electronics are still relatively stock, there should be some information available on problems. You mention that all the plugs were black with soot - this suggests that fuel injection is too rich for all cylinders, because of something like a faulty coolant or air temperature sensor that is reporting a "cold" condition to engine management. A faulty ignition can appear as a misfire as well obviously, and also results in unburned fuel on the plugs. I recommend a loss of power inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Lack of power 1991 Nissan 300ZX