Q: Knocking noise after putting car into park while moving

I am stupid. I qas driving my gmc sierra 95 aboit 80kmh arguing with my bf. Went to pull over but was still going a decent speed as I angrily threw it into park. My bf freaked out and drove the truck, woth a weird sound now, like 120 or more kmh home. Now it has a baaaaad knock. Is it effed?

Hey, thanks for writing in to YourMechanic. The parking mechanism inside the transmission is designed to hold the vehicle from moving when you park it and is not designed to stop the vehicle at all. You most likely bent or broke the parking mechanism arm that would hold the vehicle in park. If it bent then it may be dragging on the parking drum inside the transmission.

I can only recommend having a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the knock noise firsthand and check to see if this is all that was damaged and remove the transmission pan and inspect the damage and replace parking pawl if it is the only broken piece.