Q: Key is stuck in the ignition and won't turn all the way back into the lock position

My key has been stuck in the ignition for a few weeks now and it's still been cranking up until yesterday. Turn the key and nothing. From what I've read it could be the ignition switch gone bad but I just noticed also that the gear shift does not totally lock into park. What I mean is you can change the gears without pushing the button on the side of the gear shifter so I didn't know if this may be the problem since the key won't cut off or come out if the car is not in park.

It is either the ignition switch electrical or the ignition lock cylinder. The key slides into the ignition lock cylinder. These two components mate together and essentially become one. So if either of them break, they will both be affected. In addition, there are many other small moving parts inside your steering column that are activated when you insert the key and turn it. Any of these parts could be the culprit.

One of the mechanism that is activated when you insert and turn the key is the shift interlock system. This system locks the shifter when you put it into park. When you turn the ignition key and step on the brake, it releases the shift interlock system.

The steering column will need to be disassembled to see what has broken. At that point a replacement part can be ordered and the appropriate repair can be done.

In order to avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider getting the car’s no start condition inspected by a certified mobile technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

Good luck!

3. Key is stuck in the ignition and won't turn all the way back into the lock position