Q: is it common for the timing chain to go out on this model truck?

Truck was running great when I parked it a week ago, when I try to start it now it tries to crank then just spins and fires once in a while. What does it sound like to you?

A: This is not likely related to the timing ch...

This is not likely related to the timing chain as the truck would not fire at all if the timing chain were out. If the truck does fire occasionally, this suggests you have spark and fuel which is good. This is more likely related to a consistent fuel supply causing the intermittent firing. I would start with turning the key to on to see if you can hear the fuel pump coming on (should be a slight buzzing sound). If this comes on you know the fuel pump is working. When you crank it over, try pulling one of the spark plugs out of the cylinder head to see if it is wet with fuel. If so, this suggests you are getting fuel to the cylinders. You may want to check each one separately. If not all of them are wet, this may suggest an injector problem with delivering fuel to the intake rails.