Q: Is Freon Used in All Car AC Systems?

Is Freon used in all car AC systems?

A: Yes, Freon is still used in today's veh...

Yes, Freon is still used in today's vehicles even though they are looking into alternative refrigerants for automotive use. Freon is a gas at room temperature and a liquid when cooled or compressed. Freon gas is colorless, nonflammable, and relatively odorless. Some Freons have an ether-like odor.

Commercially available Freons include: R134A - Tetrafluoroethane (for autos) or R12 for the older vehicles. The manufacturers changed from Refrigerant R12 to R134a in the late 1990s due to the environmental effects to our ozone layer. Now research has shown that refrigerant R134a is not much better. Companies such as dupont and other refrigerant manufacturers are researching alternative refrigerants such as R-1234yf (HFO-1234yf).

Auto makers are slowly moving toward a new refrigerant for automotive air conditioning systems. The new refrigerant is R-1234yf (HFO-1234yf), and it will be phased in slowly over time starting with some 2014 model year vehicles to the vehicles produced today. There has been a lot of controversy over using this refrigerant due to companies having to purchase all new air conditioning equipment to service the newer vehicles.

As of 2016, all dealerships have the equipment, but there are not too many other repair facilities that have the equipment yet. If you run into any issues, have a professional mechanic diagnose your air conditioning system and make the repair.