Q: If you replace a starter does it have to be specific to that vehicle

there is a car that i wanna buy that may need a starter but i wanna know if i replace it would it have to be specific to that vehicle

Car starters can often look very similar. The problem is there may be small differences that cannot be caught by the eye - the mounting may be different, the gear teeth might not match and will chew up your flywheel, etc. You would be better off installing one known to fit that vehicle and engine. If you’d like, a YourMechanic certified technician can come to your home or place of business to perform a Starter Replacement on your vehicle.

• If you replace a starter does it have to be specific to that vehicle