Q: I think my front driver side spring is broken.

asked by on November 23, 2016

I was gonna park at church and it was snowing. So I accelerate and my wheel spinning on snow and slowly moving and moving side way and suddenly I hard a noise under my car. A loud noise .i thought it was a rock and after that I try to turn my wheel left a right. And there was a noise. After church .i drove back home.. when I go on bumping road I can hear one metal piece noise under my hood. So I think this a spring broken. I want to know how much will it cost to replace it at shop. It is a factory coilover

First of all, if the coil spring is broken, the car will be sagging at the left front. I have worked on cars for over twenty years and have never seen a coil spring just snap, unless someone has attempted to modify it. Sometimes people will heat the spring to make is sag so they can lower the car. That is the only time I have seen a coil spring snap. So if nothing of this nature has been done to the spring, it is unlikely the spring has snapped. However there are several other components in the suspension that can create a large noise like you have described. In addition, a coil spring will be heard outside the car and not under the hood. So I am skeptical that you have a broken coil spring.

Even if you do have a broken coil spring, I still recommend you have your vehicle diagnosed before you get a quote. A quote without a diagnosis is not likely to be very accurate. If you have driven the car with a broken coil spring, it is more than likely creating other problems. So before you receive a quote for the coil spring, have someone inspect your car first. This will give you a much more accurate cost to repair your car.

I recommend the following inspection to help you out. Brakes, steering and suspension inspection

Good luck!