Q: I need help getting my blazer to idle.

asked by on July 09, 2016

Hi, I have a 2000 chevy s10 blazer. I recently got possession of it from my ex wife who killed it. I drained 3 gallons of oil from the thing (idk how she thought that was a good idea), replaced the spark plugs, the battery and refilled the coolant, and oil (just over 4 liters).

I got it to turn over ( it is still producing black smoke from the exhaust from the oil), but I have to keep my foot on the throttle to keep it running. I've been trying to run it in my driveway to clean it out, and I can get it down to about 500rmp, but it's idle is lower than that and dies if I get it lower.

My question is, what else can I do to get this blazer to idle?

Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement $111.64 - $903.72 Get a Quote
Car starts and then dies Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If your engine was overfilled with oil then you will need to check for any oil in the intake air filter. After running the engine for a little bit, check to see if the oil is getting full again and see if the oil is thin and smells like gasoline.

If it does, then the fuel injection fuel pressure regulator is leaking. This will cause fuel to pour into the intake and engine, and filling the oil.

Replace the fuel pressure spider and regulator assembly. If the oil is not overfilled then I’d suggest running cleaner into the throttle body, while keeping it running, to wash out the excess oil in the intake and exhaust to help it run better.

If you need help with these checks, consider YourMechanic, as a qualified technician can come to you and diagnose your idling issue and fix it accordingly.