Q: I left my car lights on. I jump started the car started it up and drove around for an hour or more. The car didn't turn on again

asked by on August 14, 2017

I left my head lights on. When turned the key over the dash oard lights didn't turn on neither did the car. I jump started car and drove around for a hour. Turned it off and back on car won't start lights are dim on dashboard headboard w.e but won't turn over

Battery is dead Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

I suspect you have a faulty battery and I would start there. If the starter motor is not even cranking the engine, among the first possibilities is a weak battery, excessive voltage drop in the starter circuit due to poor electrical connections, or a dead starter/solenoid. Prior to performing diagnostics the battery should be load tested. With a battery in good condition and the immobilizer (security) system off, if the starter motor does not operate at that point, there are only two possibilities: 1) either there is no power to the starter motor/solenoid, or an excessive voltage drop, hence the entire starter circuit would have to be diagnosed; or 2) there is power but the starter/solenoid itself is bad and that includes intermittent operation which does happen. If you desire that a specialist from YourMechanic determine which of these is the issue, and get it resolved, please request a no start diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr