Q: i just bought a 6 speed 2000 toyota celica gts and the handbrake engages but only provides a little resistance

It sounds like it engages and i believe it does, but it does not come close to keeping the car still even on a small hill. i already tried tightening the cable but it would not do anything as it was tightened as much as i could get it already.

There are a few possible causes for the parking brake to not hold the vehicle sufficiently. The parking brake may be out of adjustment, the rear drum brakes may not be adjusted properly, there could be a problem with the adjuster wheel, the cable could be stretched, or there could be brake shoes or drums worn past their serviceable limits. Before adjusting the parking brake at the interior handle, it would be advised to do a rear brake inspection, to be sure that the brakes are in good condition, and are adjusted properly. If you could use a hand in inspecting and/or repairing the brakes, consult a certified mechanic, like those available at YourMechanic.com.

3. i just bought a 6 speed 2000 toyota celica gts and the handbrake engages but only provides a little resistance