Q: I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu, and am trying to install a remote starter. The ignition harness should show voltage but is not..

I am trying to install a remote starter on a 2012 Chevy Malibu. I need to wire it to the ignition harness in order to power the accessory wire and ignition wire. When I test these wires, they should be getting voltage but they are not. The car still works fine so I am very confused as to why there Is no voltage showing up. I have the constant 12v source hooked up to the BCM which works fine so I know my multimeter is working. Why is this happening? Is there another place I can connect to that has accessory power on this vehicle? I found one wire at the BCM that will work for the ignition, but can not find an accessory source that works anywhere. Please help!

To answer your question about power on the ignition wire, if you check for voltage on that wire at key on and/or when the vehicle is running and you find battery voltage at that time, that would mean that the wire where you expect to find voltage is simply a switched circuit and not intended to always be on. Without having your wiring diagram in hand (for your remote starter) and not knowing if this is a GM install or an aftermarket brand, it is hard to advise you exactly as to the correct wiring but, if you are very sure of the electrical needs of the remote starter and are simply looking for accessory power, all you need do is connect a terminal at the battery. If you desire, a mechanic can look first hand at what you have (in particular your installation schematic) and resolve this. If you desire that, the recommended service is an electrical component/circuit diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.