Q: I have a 2003 Subaru Legacy Outback and just recently it started dying whenever I shift into reverse.

I am able to shift and backup for a bit but then it dies and I have to put it in park and turn off/start again. It is working fine in drive. I had the head gaskets and power steering pump replaced within the last two months. Brought it into the shop to bleed the PS pump more + get codes from a check engine light and the mechanic said it could be either an plugged fuel filter or exhaust leak. Check engine light has not gone on since the reverse stopped working. Any thoughts? Thanks

Hi There, While this could certainly be caused by a fuel delivery problem such as a clogged fuel filter, it would seem odd that the same reaction would not happen in drive and only in reverse. The the fuel supply is indifferent to whether the car is in reverse or drive, this would seem to indicate potentially also something to do with the car’s response to a load put on the engine. I would recommend checking the MAP sensor to be sure it is working properly. Since the MAP sensor helps to contribute part of the information used by the computer to make air/fuel mixture changes, it may be possible that if this is not working properly, this may also cause excess emissions problems as indicated by your mechanic’s suggestion about an exhaust leak. I would recommend having the MAP sensor checked along with the fuel pressure as it sounds like this is definitely a fuel supply issue.

3. I have a 2003 Subaru Legacy Outback and just recently it started dying whenever I shift into reverse.