Q: Code P1399

asked by on May 23, 2017

I have 2000 honda civic EX ... check engine light p1399 ...

Hi There, As you know, this codes relates to a misfire, but is more commonly known to be caused by valves out of adjustment or in some cases clogged EGR valve passages. When the valves are out of adjustment, this causes timing issues with the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust valves, which disrupts the combustion process resulting in engine misfires.

A clogged or dirty EGR valve may also cause poor fuel mileage. The EGR valve is a small component designed to allow the flow of exhaust gases into the intake manifold in controlled amounts. Whenever you start the engine, the valve comes alive and waits in a closed position, blocking the flow of exhaust gases. Once the engine reaches operating temperature and speed increases, the valve, either through vacuum or electronic control will gradually open, allowing burned exhaust gases to enter and combine with the air-fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber. When the EGR valve is clogged or dirty, as they are prone to, it may not function properly causing the engine to idle rough, stall at idle speeds, cause the car to get poor fuel mileage, or emit a strong smell of fuel due to excess hydrocarbons which also results in failing emissions tests. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.