Q: I have a 1995 Lincoln Towncar which won't turn all the way off.

asked by on September 17, 2017

I have a 1995 Lincoln Towncar which won't turn all the way off. I was parking it the other day and the car shut off fine. But the power to the accessories stays on. The car wont start now either. Had to disconnect the battery so it wouldn't run down. I'm gonna start with replacing the ignition cylinder. Any tips on anything else that might be causing this? Thank you so much guys!

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The ignition switch is a darned good place to start. A 1995 car should be pretty straightforward electrically. There may be one or two power relays that could be suspect. The only way to tell for sure is a point to point test which can be pretty time consuming. So sometimes it can be cheaper and quicker to just replace the part and see if it works. If replacing your switch doesn’t do the trick and you want to bring in some professional help, contact YourMechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your Lincoln’s electrical system and let you know what is the solution.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr