Q: I Cannot Screw On Oil Filter.

asked by on February 11, 2017

I recently bought a Fram PH3593A oil filter from auto zone for my 96 Honda Civic LX to replace the old filter with after finished draining the oil. After removing the old filter, I tried to screw on the new filter, but it wouldn't catch. I tried screwing back the old filter after numerous failed attempts, but also couldn't screw that one on. There cant be a problem with the threads and the new oil filter is confirmed to be compatible with the civic, so I do not understand.

Here are images of both oil filters, and the oil filter housing base.

Housing Base: https://s30.postimg.org/7dfdtg381/IMG_20170211_135647.jpg

Old Filter: https://s23.postimg.org/5nsnej05n/IMG_0056.jpg https://s23.postimg.org/3kmtklpqj/IMG_0057.jpg ' New Filter: https://s23.postimg.org/m909u6r9n/IMG_0047.jpg https://s23.postimg.org/bap0c02ob/IMG_0055.jpg

Oil Filter Housing Gasket Replacement $122.63 - $326.92 Get a Quote

You are using the correct filter. I looked at the photos that you sent but the photos do not show the entirety of the threads. Even if such are shown "clearly", when it comes to threaded parts, it only takes a fairly minor defect in threads to make assembly difficult. If you cannot visually detect any gross amount of damage to the threads, the thing to do is manipulate the oil filter as you attempt to thread it on. That usually works. Given your description, in your case, it would appear that there is some very minor defect, perhaps a metal splinter or the like, that is preventing the engagement of the first thread in the filter. That is not exceptional (it happens) and thus to get it to engage you will just have to inspect and try again. Don’t force it though. With reasonable measures, if you truly cannot get the filter to engage, the external threads will have to be restored. If you have enough access, you can gently use a thread file or use the appropriate die. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an oil filter base repair/installation and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.