Q: I can’t drive forward, what happened?

My 2010 Chevrolet Silverado is getting up there in miles, with 90,000 on the odometer. I stopped at a stop sign the other day and when I went to accelerate, nothing happened. Nothing I tried would get the truck moving. Almost in a panic, I tried reverse. That worked and I was able to at least get the truck out of the road. I didn’t see anything leaking and nothing was making noise. What would cause this? This is a serious issue, whatever it is!

This sounds like a problem with the internal transmission seal leaking. The reason your truck worked in reverse is because it uses full transmission pump pressure and separate internal parts from the ones used for forward gears. You will need to have the transmission pressures tested to see if the pressure is within specifications, your low gear seals inside the transmission and valve body checked for leaks, and the valve body checked for sticking to determine the cause of the issue. Since you cannot drive your truck, you can contact YourMechanic to get a diagnosis to test and scan the system. Attempting to drive the vehicle could cause more damage or problems. You are likely looking at a transmission overhaul or a replacement with a remanufactured unit. Either way I would first have YourMechanic diagnose the problem before making a repair decision.