Q: Humming noise, wheel bearing issue, and two evap leaks

I have a humming noise that I hear while driving. I took my car to the mechanic and was told that its my front right wheel bearing that needs to be fixed. He said it was dry but had very little "play". Also, when turning my steering wheel, there is a squealing noise. I thought it must be my power steering. (still unsure). My check engine light is on and the mechanic told me I had 2 evap leaks (2 codes showed up). He stated that I had one larger leak and one small leak. I was told I would have to have it "smoked" in order to find out what the problem is. How much could this cost me? Is there an easier and/or more cost efficient way of solving these problems?

Regarding the right, front wheel bearing, you can confirm this diagnosis by turning left at moderate speeds (i.e. freeway on-ramp). The noise will increase during the turn (which loads the right front wheel bearings).

Regarding the squeal while turning the power steering pump, this could be a low steering fluid level and/or a serpentine belt that is worn or has a loose tensioner. The "smoke test" your mechanic mentions is a standard way of testing for "evap" (aka air intake) system leaks. The other approach is to spray starter fluid around rubber hose connections in the intake while the engine is running. If the idle speeds up, you’ve found a leak.

A professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can replace the front wheel bearing, determine exactly why the Check Engine Light is on, and suggest any needed repairs to get your car back in proper working order.

3. Humming noise, wheel bearing issue, and two evap leaks