Q: How to stop oil burning on a 2002 Toyota Corolla

My 2002 Toyota Corolla burns oil. What can I do?

A: The first thing you'd want to do is cha...

The first thing you'd want to do is change the PCV valve - the positive crankcase ventilation valve. They don't cost that much.

Pray that it's that. If it is, then that means that it is sticking open, and instead of just sucking PCV vented air, it is also sucking oil.

Now, if that isn't the case and the engine is burning oil because the pistons are worn or the valve seal is worn, then you can try this first, as it often helps. Have the oil and filter changed then put in the oil and instead of one quart of new oil, put a quart of Lucas engine oil treatment and then drive it a while. I've done that before and some cars stopped burning oil entirely. It is a good oil and that additive keeps them from burning oil.