Q: How should my car be towed in an emergency?

How should my car be towed in an emergency?

While it’s hoped you never have to experience it, there may come a time that you need to have your car towed. It might be two flat tires and only one spare. It might be a dead battery and no way to jumpstart the car. Whatever the situation, it’s important that you know the right way to do it. Here’s what you should know:

• It’s highly recommended that you only have your car towed by a professional tow service using a flatbed truck.

• If a flatbed isn’t available, tow your car with the front wheels raised and the rear wheels on the pavement if it’s a two-wheel drive model. Four-wheel drive models should be towed with the rear wheels raised and the front wheels on the pavement.

• If you are unable to locate a professional tow service, you can tow the car for a very short distance at very low speeds using the tow eyelets in the front. You must have someone in the car to work the brakes and steer. Make sure the car is in neutral and that the ignition is on. The parking brake must be off.

Tip

If towing the car with the tow eyelets, make sure the eyelet is correctly installed.

3. How should my car be towed in an emergency?